My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Censure Motion Passed

The extraordinary Plenary meeting of Zurgena council proceeded at midday today. I met up with the agreeing councillors about an hour before the meeting. It is fair to say that most of them were very nervous. Not surprising given that 3 of the Spanish TV channels were broadcasting it live!

As is often the case in Spanish Politics, a table of age, is established and as I am the eldest I become President but, following a meeting with the Secretary, it was agreed that I could open the meeting by explaining that I was delegating my role to Noelia (as the youngest) to be president. Which she did very well. Evenb at one stage telling Candido to be quiet!

Short addresses were given by first Luis, then Kiko, Candido, Ana and Sampo. It was surprising to see how emotional they were with particularly Luis, Candido and Ana almost in tears. After the speeches the votes were cast and as expected the vote was 8 in favour of the censure motion and 3 against (Kiko PP), Maria Jose Aliaga and Jose Anthonio (PSOE) against.

Luis then made a short speech accepting his position as Mayor in which he stressed how much he wanted to try and address the problems of the village and how, with the help of all the councillors move things froward.

After the meeting, we adjourned for a beer across the road, and whilst there a small van pulled up and it was Luis' parents. I was introduced to them and they were very welcoming and friendly.

So lets see what we can achieve with a council made up of a greater majority of councillors working together for the village.

2 comments: