My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Sunday, May 22, 2011

What a Crazy Day

I was going to leave my next blog to be the result of the local elections however, because of events today I felt I should share my thoughts.
I turned up for election duty as an authorised assistant at 0730am. I was duly given my badge (to show my authority) and I saw Andreas and asked if he could advise me what I could or could not do. Basically he said you cannot discuss the election or politics you can only show people where they need to go to vote. So I started doing that and immediately noticed that one or other of the opposition parties was following me each time I did. I was then warned for the 1st time by the Guardia Civil at the behest of opposition parties, not to talk about politics or to go with electors into the rooms, both of which I wasn't doing anyway. Then after about another half an hour I got a second warning and I explained to the G.C. officer that I was only showing people where to go and asked if it was okay to do so. I was assured that it was and continued. Then of the 3rd occasion I was approached by G.C. and asked if I had spoken to a lady who had just gone into the polling room. I explained that I had asked her name and told her which room to go into. The lady in question confirmed this but the President of the room stated that she was not going to be allowed to vote whilst I was taken outside and told I was being denounced and that it was for going into the election booth with a voter and changing the voting papers. An allegation which is totally false. I then had conversations with Candido who made approaches to the G.C. but nothing seemed to be done. I just hung about waiting to see what, if anything I could do.
It did give me satisfaction to realise that the other parties were getting worried but on the other hand I was worried that they were going to win by having me excluded from helping people.
The lady who was subject of the initial complaint (I won't mention her by name in case she does not want to be identified) returned having spoken to a solicitor and when I asked if she would be kind enough to denounce the President, she happily and readily agreed to so. I know that many people would have balked at doing this so I give my my appreciation and respect to M.
Subsequently I returned as I was advised to helping people finding the right room but was again stopped by the GC at the behest of the other political parties. So in the end they won. I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening outside the polling station trying not to talk to people.
Sorry I have rambled on but I have been fuming all day.
I was told by the Polizia Local later in the day that the denuncia has been withdrawn but I have had nothing official.
The result should be through in couple of hours and will post as soon as I know.
Politics eh!

1 comment:

  1. Similar in Mojacar. A couple of our voters were denounced for showing a paper to another Brit. The paper concerned was a church document and nothing to do with elections. I must now go to the police station today to translate. Unbelievable!
    (Also... 500 postal votes out of around 2,800 has caused a fuss...).

    ReplyDelete