My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Columbus Day

Following my invitation to the celebrations for todays holiday (Columbus Day) I found I had enough time to attend the Mass in the morning at the San Ramon Nonato Iglesia in Zurgena andy the party afterwards at the Guardia Civil Cuartel.

The morning service was as usual conducted by the local priest who, if everyone spoke Spanish like he does, we would find it easier to learn the language. The service lasted about an hour and was very informal. Both children and dogs were walking in and out of the church.

Then at 2.0pm the celebrations in honour of the village patron Virgen del Pilar took place at the Guardia Civil barracks. Wish I had cleared my diary for the day. Initially offered was wine and beer then the most fantastic paella I have ever tasted arrived (made as I found out at the Ballabona restaurant) and having served everyone with a portion, soft drinks were served, but only momentarily, as it was quickly followed with spirits. rum, whisky, gin, everything. As I already had plans for the rest of the day I did not partake but think I will keep my diary entry for next year clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment