My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Do you fancy getting involved? Road Works A7

 As many of you know the local council elections are to be held in May of this year.

This will be the first election since 2003 that I will not be standing in. 

The system in Spain is in many ways more democratic than in the UK. (I think)! Each political party has to draw up a list of local residents ( some parties do not even ensure all their candidates are local!). The members of the party then meet and agree an order for their candidates where No 1 would be the Mayor if they won the election and on down to No 13. The votes when tallied after TH election work on a form of proportional representation eg the party which wins the most seats forms the administration in our case that is 7 seats roughly 60% of the votes cast.

When I first stood I was number 6 and we won a majority so I had a seat on the council however our list had a total of 16 names and the others were merely supporters. As you know since then I kept getting higher on the list and ended up at No 2 as deputy mayor!

I have been asked by our mayor if I know of any English speaking residents who may want to support the current party at the next elections, by standing for election. I know of one or two who have expressed an interest but I am posting on here to see if anyone else fancies getting involved.

Your linguistic skills are not really important as we have 4 bi lingual speakers in the Town Hall and I have managed all this time with my limited command of Spanish! 

If you are interested, or know any local resident who is interested, please get in touch. I can answer any questions or issues you may have.

It is a huge opportunity to help the community even if just to support your town hall.

Road Works on new motorway/A7

Due to work on the new motorway there are to be some interruptions to normal traffic flow for approx 15 days starting tomorrow. From my understanding they are reducing the motorway to 2 single lanes and cutting the road at Pk 686. The advice is if travelling to Palaces Zurgena or La Concepcion you drive along the A7 towards Almeria and access the A334 at junction Pk 682 link to the A7 at Overa.


No comments:

Post a Comment