My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Monday, February 18, 2019

Election Year and Outstanding Issues

The past few weeks we have been reviewing the outstanding issues that require attention from the list maintained during the past 3 years. We have managed to achieve most things but there are still a number of outstanding issues.

We have had discussions to prioritise these issues so that we can complete as many, that are left, as possible. These works will continue over the next few months and I will endeavour to ensure that those, which affect the residential areas, are completed promptly.

Secondly I can inform you that I will be standing for reelection this year. I have reached this decision with the support of all of my family.

I have decided to do so for a number of reasons.

Firstly the current team, that I am part of, in the Town Hall have, in my opinion, been excellent in working for the benefit of all our community and it is anticipated that most of the current team will stand again.

Secondly, as in previous elections, I have a firm commitment from the other members of our team to continue to fully support and help integrate the expat community into the local community.

Thirdly, after we had agreed our PGOU, Luis asked me if I felt I had achieved what I joined the council to do. I replied in the affirmative and then he said ,¨NO!¨ He then explained using a metaphor of painting a room and saying that I had only painted 3 walls. There was another wall to paint and how could I leave without finishing the room!! I also want to continue our work to fully gain urban consolidated status for all properties in the municipality.

Fourthly the many appreciative words and comments from people over the past few months make it feel to me that it is worthwhile continuing.

Lastly, and purely from a selfish point of view, there is a possibility I may receive some remuneration in the next administration if we win sufficient seats. As most of you know I have never drawn a salary for my work in the Town Hall during the past 12 years. So that might be nice.

For your information and to explain the election process here this is how it works.Any group wishing to contest a local election has to compile a numbered list of 15 local persons who support that group. The Council has 11 councillors and the seats are assigned based on the percentage of the vote each group obtains in the election. At the last election our party PSOE won a total of 7 seats. So the first 7 in our list became councillors with No 1 becoming Mayor 2 Deputy and so on.

We had a meeting last week to agree our numbered list and I accepted to be No 3 (the same as at the last election) Luis (current Mayor) is our No 1 and Lola (current Deputy Mayor) No 2. I will publish the remaining names when it has been published in Almeria. I am pleased to say that I have been supported and have included the names of 2 more english speaking residents.

Finally I also must thank Michael Foulkes who stood on our lists in the last 2 elections but has decided not to stand again this year due to personal reasons. Thanks Mike for your past support.

No comments:

Post a Comment