My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Friday, August 2, 2013

Agreement

Following my letter to Candido on Wednesday, he rang yesterday morning to say that he was free for me to speak with him, either at La Vida or in the Town Hall, whichever was most convenient for me. I agreed to meet him at La Vida, and Andreas joined us. We had a 2 hour conversation during which I was able to make my feelings known and he explained his position.

Firstly he explained the reasons for his being unable to meet with me the past 2 weeks, suffice it to say that I accepted his explanations as being valid, one of which involved the hospitalisation of his youngest child, however, I did stress that we seemed to have very poor communications as, if he had told me of his reasons on the days, it would not have come to this.

I opened the conversation by asking Candido to convince me of why I should remain a) on the council and b) with Partido Andalucista (P.A.). We then had a long discussion about all the options open to me and the likely outcomes of these.

Candido explained that he thought I should realise that P.A. was by far the most effective political body which has, and continues, to fight for improvements for the expat community. He gave many examples of this which I know to be true. He also re-emphasised the reasons why he asked me to join them in the first place and why, on both of the last elections, he placed my name high enough up the list to ensure I had a voice and a seat on the council. He did this to the detriment of some people who were friends and thought they should be above me on the list. I countered this by saying that that was all well and good but what if I could not get to meet with the other councillors or get anything done, as was the case recently.

He agreed that the ad hoc way we got together was not good enough and proposed we return to the previous system of meeting with all the P.A. councillors once a week for example on a Friday at 11.0am and this we would start in September, after the August holidays. I also think we need to improve general communications but at least with a once a week meeting things should improve.

He highlighted the fact that, working in a coalition, was not the easiest way to govern and that he had had many issues with our partners, some of which he had not told me about. He had worried that I would put details on this blog which would prejudice his discussions and he knows that our political opponents and partners read his blog. I said that I would not put anything on here that he did not want to go on. He agreed to allow me to judge what should and should not be published on here.

There is little point in my listing all the things we discussed but, suffice it to say, that in the end I was overwhelmingly convinced of the argument that P.A. were the best option for our issues and that my staying within that party would be best for our community. I therefore agreed in the meantime to continue, as long as the issues we discussed and agreed did take effect.

Finally due to the length of this meeting, and the upcoming holidays, I did not have much of an opportunity of raising your outstanding issues but have agreed to meet again on the 14th August for this purpose. I have given Candido  the list of street lights not working which he will give to Enrique. He did also tell me that the street laying contracts from the Provincial Plan should start by mid September.

As you all know little happens during August but I hope to publish the agenda for the Zurgena Fiesta and the result of our meeting on the 14th. 

No comments:

Post a Comment