My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

My email jiminysimpson@gmail.com

Friday, October 28, 2016

Todays Intercultural Seniors Day

Just a few photograph from todays excellent event.

My thanks to the amazing amount of fantastic dishes, both savoury and sweet, that all the people from both communities brought. Some of the best of both English and Spanish cuisine.

The presentation from Isabela of the history of Zurgena had some fascinating facts I was unaware of. The following 3 from english speakers covered Scotland, Cornwall (Beryl Booth) and Devon (Mike Yendell). We had our own Pearly King and Queen Jon and Josette Arrowsmith) Then we had presentations from a Spanish gentleman, Jose Anthonio, who was from Bilbao and showed off his local game of throwing coins into a frogs mouth (which I could not do!). This was followed by a personal history story of the family who had strong Argentinian and Spanish connections and she relayed her personal story of her families movements between the two countries. Which explained for me anyway the connections between Spain and Argentina.  This presentation was followed by a surprise magic act by the husband of the lady presenting. He was excellent as well.

Then the 70+ people who were there (and it was quite an even split in numbers maybe just slightly more Spanish) sat down to enjoyed each others´ countries traditional dishes. I could not count them there were so many. There was just about every dish you can imagine and I can say I did not need an evening meal.

My thanks to everyone who attended and especially those who presented and all those in the Town Hall who worked on it.

I personally think these events are very very important in helping our communities integrate and I believe those who were there today experienced that and agreed that it was an event we should try and repeat.








No comments:

Post a Comment